- 1 package (1/4 oz) unflavored gelatin
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- 3 Tbsp boiling water
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp extract (we used vanilla)
Creating the stickers:
- Put cold water into a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin in, and let it sit for a couple minutes.
- Add boiling water. Mix until powder dissolves.
- Add sugar and extract. Mix.
- Grab a paint brush and brush the mixture onto sheets or scraps of recycled paper. Since kids will be licking this stuff be sure that you use paper that is still clean — at least on one side.
- Let the paper dry for about an hour (later if your paper has dried and curled up just set something heavy on it for a bit). To speed up the process, we used a blow dryer on them.
At this point if you covered full sheets with the gelatin mixture you’ll want to cut out shapes or strips — really cut whatever shapes you’d like your stickers to be. Use stencils for ideas or you can also keep the stickers abstract if using small bits of scrap paper.
Have your kids gather up all their art supplies and go to town. They can decorate the non-painted side with glitter, fabric, paint, markers, glitter glue, buttons, google eyes, and more — whatever catches their fancy.
After kids decorate their stickers they can lick them and they’ll stick to holiday or birthday cards, gift wrap, brown bags, and more. Even to themselves!