- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules (beef would be tasty, too!)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, margarine, and boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes. Grease cookie sheets.
- Thoroughly stir in cornmeal, sugar, bouillon, milk, Cheddar cheese, and egg. Mix in flour, 1 cup at a time, until a stiff dough has formed.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface, mixing in additional flour as necessary until dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Roll or pat out dough to 1/2" thickness. Cut with cookie cutter, and place 1 inch apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Cool before serving. Store in a loosely covered container, although fridge or freezer work better.