We thought we would share this experiment with you! It's not actually about the digestive system, but rather about yeast and the fermentation process.
What you need:
-Two ziplock baggies
-1 teaspoon of yeast
- 1/4 cup low sugar cereal mixed with 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup High sugar cereal mixed with 1/4 cup warm water
Let the cereal and water get all mushy and squishy.
1. Label one bag high and one low
2. Place 1/2 tsp. yeast into each bag.
3. Put the high sugar mixture in the bag labeled high and the low sugar mixture in the bag marked low.
4. Zip the bags closed, making sure to press out all the air.
5. Squish the bags a little to mix in the yeast.
6. Set on a plate and observe what happens to both bags.
7. Record how long it takes for each bag to fill up with carbon dioxide.
8. If you are really daring, you can see how long it takes for your bag to barf!
Have fun experimenting! Get excited about science!