Ok, I know I said in my last post how nice it was to find a Valentines treat that was healthy. But when you find something like this idea for Red Velvet Brownies how can you say no? I came across this one last week, on a snowy day when 4-year-old Charlie was home from school. I thought this would be the perfect baking project for us! Charlie was all about it, until he saw that the brownies were going to be red. He thought they should be green. I tried explaining that red was a good color for Valentines Day. He told me (again) that they should be green and promptly left the room, leaving me to make them by myself (the little monkey!). Here's the recipe I used, so you (and maybe your kids!) can make them too!
What You Need:
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 ounces red food coloring (I just eyeballed it and used a little more than 2 bottles - whatever I had in the cupboard)
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (though next time I'd use more -- can you ever have too much chocolate??)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Then add your vanilla and food coloring. If you want them less red, add less food coloring. Want them more red? Add more!